Are you a big fan of trucks? Or maybe you need one for your professional purposes. Whatever the case may be, one thing you will come across is the 6.0L Powerstroke. The reason is it comes with low cost and high availability. However, the big question here is how many miles will a 6.0 Powerstroke last?
Well, that has been an ongoing debate on many forums for a long time. Here, I will be talking about that and many more stuff about 6.0L Powerstroke.
So, if you have anything to know about the 6.0 Powerstroke stick till the end of the article, let’s get this started.
Table of Contents
About Ford 6.0 diesel engine
The Ford 6.0L diesel engine is the power you need for your truck or van. It has got the perfect horsepower and torque to get you through anything.
It has excellent bottom-end strength thanks to the crankcase bedplate that comes with a cylinder block made of cast iron. The engine has an integrated oil pump and oil cooler on the engine block. The powdered connecting rods on this one are solid and able to hand 700rwhp easily. Also, it can go up to 1200 to 1300 lb-ft of torque. All this applies to the latest model of the 6.0 engine.
Even with all that, there is always that one question, “Is the Ford 6.0L diesel a good engine?” The answer to this is a bit complicated. On paper, the 6.0L seems to be a good engine; however, it is known to be a problematic engine in reality. In the past, they have had so many problems with the engine that people started calling it a problematic engine.
It has got a lot of different issues. But you can solve them by spending some money. I am not here to take anything away from the Ford 6.0L. Because once you get rid of all the problems, it’s a smooth ride for you. It’s enjoyable to drive with this engine inside your truck.
Individual problems require significant solutions. If we get into that, then this will become a long-stretched article. But in the past, bulletproofing a 6.0L has proven to work very well for the engine. It brings out the best in the engine. If you can get one that is already bulletproofed, you won’t need to go through much trouble.
Also, the 6.0L Powerstroke problems by year have gone down significantly. You might even end up with a perfectly well brand-new engine as well.
How many miles will a 6.0 Powerstroke last? Powerstroke 6.0 life expectancy
Without stretching things too much, I can say a 6.0L Powerstroke can go up to 400k miles in top conditions. If you are doing things correctly and have got the right engine, you can expect the 6.0 Powerstroke to last for 400k miles.
Although that’s a rare case for many people, after going through detailed research, I found that the life expectancy of a Ford 6.0L diesel engine for most people is from 200k to 300k. Once they reach this limit, they tend to break down or needs a rebuild.
Now, having said that, most of the owners also faced some issues before they needed a rebuild. If you consider that factor, then the true life expectancy of 6.0L should be about 400k. Is it worth it? Well, with the performance and specs you get on the engine, it’s worth it. However, the drawbacks will always be the problems with the engine.
The factors that can shorten the life of the diesel engine
Some factors can take away the life expectancy of an engine lower. If you are careful about these factors, you can save your diesel engine from a low lifespan.
- Poor maintenance of your diesel engine can be a cause of a shorter lifespan. You have to keep your diesel engines properly maintained.
- Running the engine with dirty oil has a lot of negative impacts on your engine. It affects the lifespan of the engine gravely.
- Ignoring issues with the engine. It would help if you never ignore even the slightest of issues in your engine. They can lead to have bigger problems and damage the whole engine.
- Fuel injection failure is also a cause of the low lifespan of diesel engines. If the fuel fails to inject into the cylinder, the engine will stop working.
- Too much towing can cause your diesel engine to run out quickly.
So, these are the things that can lessen the lifespan of your diesel engine. In contrary to these, you can do some things to extend the lifespan as well. Let’s check them out.
The ways to extend the lifetime of a 6.0L Powerstroke
Following are some of the ways to extend the 6.0L Powerstroke life expectancy-
- Bulletproofing the 6.0L Powerstroke can extend the lifetime of the engine way more.
- You have to change the oil in your engine regularly. You should change the oil of your engine at least every 5000 miles.
- To have a clean fuel supply to your injectors, you will need a proper fuel filter. After 10000 or 15000 miles, you will notice your fuel filter is getting dirty. That’s when you will need to change your fuel filter. Otherwise, it will damage the engine and take away efficiency as well.
- The 6.0L Powerstroke has a lot of cooling issues. This is a reason it can’t go to the optimal life expectancy. So, getting a coolant filter kit for the engine can easily extend the lifetime of your engine.
- A common 6.0L Powerstroke issue is a head gasket failure. You will run into it sooner or later. That’s why upgrading the head gasket beforehand is a smart choice for a better life for your engine.
With this kind of maintenance and care, you can expect a high mileage 6.0 Powerstroke with ease.
To sum things up, 6.0L Powerstroke isn’t the best engine out there, but it’s not the worst either. With some work put in, this can be a satisfying experience for you. Considering how many miles will a 6.0L Powerstroke last? This comes as a pretty good deal. If you are ready to put in some work on the engine, this can be a great choice for your truck.
James is a certified auto technician specializing in commercial vehicles. With 30 years of experience under his belt, James has encountered almost every type of automotive issue there is! Besides his day job at the repair shop, he is also an amateur race car driver.