When it’s about changing your car’s appearance, installing body kits is the way to go. A body kit usually includes all the parts like bumpers, side guards, spoilers, and paint. All you do is replace the factory parts with the new ones you get from the kit.
Now, there are two questions you may ask here. How to install body kits, and how much do they cost. Well, don’t worry, I will answer both of these questions in this article. So, please stick with me till the end and find out all your answers about body kits.
Table of Contents
How to install body kits on the cars
There are two ways to go about this thing. You can either look for a car shop that can install the body kit on your car. Or if you are confident enough, you can do it yourself too. I guess I don’t need to tell you where to find a car shop for the installation as it depends on your locality. However, make sure that you choose a car shop that is capable of installing body kits.
You are now moving on with the installation process that you can do yourself. There are several steps to follow. But before you begin with the process of installing a kit, you first have to find a body kit that is compatible and suitable for your car model. Let’s start with how you can do that.
Choosing a body kit
The best way to find anything in this modern age is through the internet. So, head on to your browser and look for a body kit that goes with the model of your car. You will probably find a lot of them out there based on what car you have.
Now, choose the one that you like the most in terms of appearance. Or you can go for build quality as well. It all comes down to what you want from the body kit. One tip I can give you here is to go for renowned brands rather than non-branded ones. That way, you will never have to worry about the quality because most renowned brands produce high-quality parts.
To see if they are worth it or not, you can always check the customer reviews. Also, you can look up in the forum for your car model, where people often share their experiences with such things.
After deciding on a body kit, buy it. Until now, you don’t need to worry about the installation method, because you can still go to a professional shop to get the body kit installed.
However, you can inspect the kit properly and see if all the parts fit or not. If they don’t fit, you can always have a window to return the product and get the one that fits your car perfectly.
Installing a body kit on your car
When it’s about installing a body kit on your car, there are some variables there. Different kits have a different process of installation as they come from other brands. Also, the installation differs based on your car model too.
But there are several steps that you will need to follow regardless of your car and body kit model. So, I will take you through those steps to give you an idea of how you should install the body kit.
Here’s what you do –
- The first thing to do is prepare all the parts from the body kit. By training, I mean painting and cleaning up the parts. This is important when you don’t plan to paint your car after installing the components. Just get the correct color for the kit, which you will get from the manufacturer.
- Next up, you have to remove all the factory parts you want to replace with the new ones. For example, the bumpers and side panels and whatever you want to replace. But how you remove these parts mostly depends on the model of your car.
It’s very easy to remove these parts in some cars, while you have to put a lot of effort into other ones. Also, you may need some special tools to remove the parts. Before you go ahead, you can check up online on how to remove the parts of your car.
- Now, this is a step you can skip, but you shouldn’t. Here, you have to clean the areas that are exposed after removing the different parts. Well, you don’t know when you will ever have the chance to clean these areas. Also, it helps to install the new parts.
- Before you go ahead and start attaching the parts, make sure to check the fit first. Layout your body kit on the car and see if all the holes and attachment spots line up or not.
- Finally, it’s time to attach the new body kit parts to your car. The first thing you should attach is the front bumper. given that you plan to replace it. This gives you a complete layout for the whole body kit, and it becomes much easier to do the rest of the setup.
While this sounds very easy, it usually takes some trial and error because you may have issues lining up the bumper with the headlights and other elements.
- In somebody kits, you will have an extra step. This step is for the body kits that come with an adhesive for attaching the kids onto your car.
And that’s it. These are the basic steps of installing body kits on a car regardless of the model of the car and the kit. So, knowing these are important for anyone willing to install a body kit on their car.
Also, there are some things you will need to do after completing the installation. Let’s check them out quickly.
- You have to check the alignment of all the parts that you attached. You don’t want any kind of gap around the parts. It can disrupt the whole look of the car and that’s not something you like.
- You also need to check the height for the parts like bumpers and side panels. You don’t want them to touch the ground. Here, you have to consider the suspension factor and then adjust the height accordingly.
Going through these steps helps you make sure that the installation works perfectly. Because if it doesn’t, you can still replace or remove the parts to avoid damaging them while driving.
Related: how to fix peeling clear coat
How much does it cost to paint and install a body kit?
Let’s get to some real talk here. To enhance the appeal of your car, how much do you have to spend? The cost of body parts and installation depends on several factors. I will go through them one by one.
The kind of material you choose to install is a huge factor in the cost of the body kit. For example, fiberglass is a material you can choose for affordability. But they aren’t that sturdy. Whereas carbon fiber is very expensive but it’s great in quality as well.
There are some other choices like ABS, composite, Polyurethane that have their unique characteristics and prices. So, you will need to choose based on what you want to have.
Well, if you are purchasing your kit from a local store, you don’t need to worry too much about this. But if you are opting for an international purchase, you will need to consider the shipping cost. This may take the cost of your body kit to new heights.
If you are installing the kit by yourself, then, of course, there is no cost of installation. However, you may need to get some specialized tools for the purpose, which shouldn’t cost too much anyways. On the other hand, if you opt for professional installation, you will have to spend quite a lot on the labor cost. But this way, you get a proper installation.
After considering these factors, you will end up on a cost for your body kit installation. To give you an idea in general, the cost of a body kit installation goes from somewhere around $6000 to $20000. This includes the body kit and labor cost for the installation. The price differs mostly based on the model and price of the kit and material.
Related: Krylon vs Rust-Oleum
In short, when you know how to install body kits, you can save up a lot of money from the labor cost. But don’t opt for it if you are not confident or the process is too difficult for your car. Check up the process on the internet first and see if you can do it or not. When you are confident, then go ahead with the installation by yourself.
As for the cost, you can always save up money in different ways. If you are going to enhance the looks, always go for quality over saving up some bucks.
James is a certified auto technician specializing in commercial vehicles. With 30 years of experience under his belt, James has encountered almost every type of automotive issue there is! Besides his day job at the repair shop, he is also an amateur race car driver.